University training programmes on heart failure
University College Leuven-Limburg offers a postgraduate course in heart failure in collaboration with the Belgian Working Group of Heart Failure and Cardiac Function (BWGHF), Belgian Heart Failure Nurses and the Belgian Working Group on Cardiovascular Nursing.1 The course is taught in Dutch and aims to increase awareness and understanding of heart failure among the general healthcare workforce.2 It covers acute, chronic and end-stage heart failure and is available in Genk, Leuven and Ghent.3 4 The course includes eight days of clinical training and approximately 150 hours of lessons, spread over 20 days throughout the academic year.
A similar course is available in French, developed by the BWGHF in collaboration with the University of Liège, Université catholique de Louvain and Université libre de Bruxelles.5 The course focuses on therapeutic education for heart failure and is primarily aimed at nurses; applicants must have a higher education diploma in nursing and at least two years of clinical experience. The modules start with an introduction to heart failure and its management, and progress to therapeutic education, adapting care based on patient needs and practical training through simulation.5 The course combines 100 hours of lessons with a clinical observation day.
- UC Leuven-Limburg. Postgraduaat hartfalen. Available from: https://www.ucll.be/studeren/verder-studeren/postgraduaat-hartfalen/postgraduaat-hartfalen-0 [Accessed 11/09/20]
- Vercammen J. 2020. Interview with Marissa Mes at The Health Policy Partnership (Secretariat for Heart Failure Policy Network) [videoconference]. 09/09/20
- UC Leuven-Limburg. Programa. Available from: https://www.ucll.be/studeren/verder-studeren/postgraduaat-hartfalen/postgraduaat-hartfalen-0 [Accessed 14/09/20]
- Leuven-Limburg U. Praktische informatie. Available from: https://www.ucll.be/studeren/verder-studeren/postgraduaat-hartfalen/postgraduaat-hartfalen-1 [Accessed 14/09/20]
- Université de Liège. Éducation thérapeutique du patient insuffisant cardiaque. Available from: https://www.programmes.uliege.be/cocoon/20202021/formations/descr/MYETIC90.html [Accessed 11/09/20]